When those third molars begin to affect your oral health having them removed is the smartest decision you can ever make! If you are about to remove your wisdom teeth then don’t get panic. Here are a few aftercare instructions to ensure proper healing following wisdom teeth removal.
- Start your recovery procedure before the surgery. Talk to your dentist and discuss about the general guidelines that you should follow after wisdom tooth extraction.
- Watch what you eat! Right after your surgery, stick to a diet consisting of liquids and then gradually add solid foods to your diet.
- Bleeding is unavoidable in wisdom tooth extraction, so place a gauze pad over the extraction site for 30 minutes after surgery. In cases of heavy bleeding use a moistened tea bag for the same amount of time. This is because tannic acid in the tea reduces the size of blood vessels and helps the blood clot set.
- Limit eating, drinking and talking for the first two hours after surgery.
- Avoid vigorous mouth rinsing and touching the wound area after surgery.
- Take medication every 4 to 6 hours after surgery to eliminate the pain after getting wisdom tooth removal. Usually the pain in the wounded area subsides day by day but if still pain persists, or increases after 36 hours contact your dentist immediately.
- Using anaesthesia might cause nausea and vomiting, and in such cases stop taking anything by mouth for at least an hour including the prescribed medicine.
Following wisdom tooth extraction, there will be a hole where the tooth was removed but will gradually heal over the next 4-6 weeks with a new tissue. Till then, keep the area clean after meals by rinsing salt-water or toothbrush.
The author of this post is a leading dentist of Wisdom Teeth Day Surgery writes about the aftercare tips to follow after getting wisdom teeth removal in Sydney. Find more information at Wisdomteethsydney.com.au